Thursday, March 14, 2013

Day 5: Nola Livin'


Here I am rocking my Vintage Vinyl Tee - Vintage is one of my favorite local record stores! I'm standing outside of Erin Rose, capitalizing on their AM drink special for Bloody Marys. 

After grabbing a Bloody Mary togo from Erin Rose, I continued to venture around the city and explore. 

A section of the city was blocked off. 

Want to know why? 

Because they were filming a television show!

Photo Release Sign for the TV Show's Filming

All of that roaming around made me hungry, naturally. So I went over to a notable restaurant called, Johnny's Po-Boy.

As I have previously mentioned, Po-Boy's are huge in New Orleans, and Johnny's is rated one of the best in places to grab one in the city.

Evidently many people think it's the best - look at the line!

While I was inside of the restaurant I overhead the history of the Po-boy being told by a tour guide. Apparently, back in the day, two streetcar conductors started making these sandwiches amidst a strike. They remember their roots and they fed all of their fellow streetcar conductors - who were poor because they were on strike - these sandwiches. They fed them for free and thus the name "poor boy" originated. 

Since then, the "or" of the word "poor" has been dropped and they are commonly referred to as Po-Boys. 

Anyway, enough of that. I got a roast beef and gravy Po-boy, dressed.

Bag of Zapp's Cajun-flavored chips on the side.  

Roast Beef Po-Boy - YUM.

After devouring my delicious Po-boy, I continued to wander around and wound up hanging out in front of this scenic view:

Overlooking the Mississippi River

After hanging out riverside for a while, it was time to hit my third, and final destination to try beignets.

The infamous, Cafe Du Monde.

I had to wait in line for a bit just to get some beignets togo. The line for the sit-in service was a lot longer in length and a lot longer of a wait as well. 

But not to worry, the beignets were worth the wait, and so was the coffee!

Beignets and Chicory Coffee - TOGO!

I ate my beignets and drank my coffee on the fly and then headed on over to a local event called Wednesdays At The Square. 

The event is pretty self-explanatory - every Wednesday in the spring at Lafayette Square there is live, outdoor music and various local vendors selling their product(s). 

This Wednesday, a band called, Bucktown All-stars + Park Row played. 

The music was enjoyable, and I perused around the square to check out the local art and food vendors. 

Naturally, I wound up buying some food. I tried an arugula and quinoa salad and some habanero kettle corn.  

The salad was pretty tasty, and the kettle corn was decent. It lacked the habanero "kick" that I expected it to have. 

Lafayette Square

There were a lot of people at the event. From what I gathered, there was quite a diverse crowd in attendance. I saw people that were there just to enjoy the music and drink a beer, and then there were people who used the event as a platform to network. There were tons of young business men and women walking around. They didn't hesitate to flash their business cards.

Overall, it was an enjoyable way to spend my late afternoon into the evening.

After Wednesdays in the Square, it was time for us to head on over to try some more touristy alcoholic beverages.

For those of you who don't know, the hand grenade, is the ultimate tourist drink.

I wish I could tell you what was in it, but apparently, no one can.

You get the drink from a place called, Tropical Isle. There are only three Tropical Isle locations in New Orleans. 

When you order the drink, you can get it frozen or on the rocks. If you get it on the rocks - as I did - the drink comes out of the built-in pourer. You know the place where bartenders dispense the soda and water? 

Yes, it came out of that spout.

You know what that means?

The drink recipe is TOP SECRET.

There is actually a sign in front of the door that states, anyone who claims to know the hand grenade recipe and is sharing it should be turned in. There is a $250 dollar reward for turning someone of this nature in. 

Serious secrecy. 

Jessy, Doc & I with Hand Grenades

As you can see, the drink is a fluorescent-lime green. 

Something you can't tell, is how sweet this drink was. 

So sugary...

and so unnoticeably strong.

We ended our night at a more local-esq bar called, Fahy's. The clientele there was a heck of a lot more local than the crowd on Bourbon Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment